Thursday, August 25, 2011

Maiden Voyage


Before the world ends in 2012, figured I better jump on the blog bandwagon. Love to write - and love my shiny new Airstream - so thought I should combine the 2 and see what happens.

Coming to the end of the first week of our maiden voyage of the new Eddie Bauer Airstream of my dreams. Thoughts? "What a long, tedious, eventful and amazing week it was." Ironically, we are staying tonight at the same KOA in Amarillo that we pulled into a week ago today. What a difference a week makes.

Last Thursday: we left Dallas at 2:30 pm unsure of where to stay for the night, nervous beyond words about how to tow and set up, with no real clue how any of the systems worked, spooked by every car on the road, and left WAY too late to get to Amarillo on a virgin towing day (hindsight says). Got to the campground after 9:30 pm and it took forever to setup and get settled. Almost midnight before we got to bed. Not so great for Day 01.

Thursday, one week later: we left Taos at 11am. Drove all the twist and turns like we knew our stuff, made 4 stops en route (including one where we pulled over and made lunch in the Airstream at a roadside park) and still made it to the KOA in Amarillo by 7pm. Just in time to take the dog for a long walk, have a great glass of wine, enjoy some leftovers in the fridge that now we now know how to work, and quiet time to contemplate and blog. Total setup time: 9 minutes :)

Good week, huh?

Cliff Notes for the week - with more to come soon:
* Damon Black is the best pal on the planet (that's the other part of "we" in this post)
* The next stop down the road is often a better choice than the one that seemed easiest
* Stumbling onto an Airstream Rally of Texans in Santa Fe is colossal luck
* F250s tow Airstreams like a dream
* Women with umbrellas walk cats in Taos RV Parks
* Somebody (me) needs to get a grip on their nerves towing in the mountains
* The Amarillo KOA smells like a feed lot when the wind shifts in the morning
* The sense of "community" we have been missing can be found while RVing
* Dreams coming true can be exhausting and invigorating at the same time
* Two Virgos in a Airstream do an awful lot of tidying up/organizing, just for fun
* With a bit more practice - I can do this Airstream dream by myself.

How cool is that?

Thanks for reading - hope to get more in touch with my Airstream, my blogging, my photography, my singing and my jewelry making. Those are the best parts of me - and I appreciate you letting me share them with you.





5 comments:

  1. So much fun! The part of me that has always wanted to be a gypsy is green with envy! I miss you guys! -- Jill Waldrep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you too - sister! How's that baby coming along? When it cools off, we may just have to drag the camper out your way and see ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santa Fe is the most beautiful place on earth! Glad you had a fun and safe trip. Now, i have a 49ft 5th wheel, can I borrow your big truck? LOL! bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely living the dream! Congrats on a successful maiden voyage - both in the airstream and with the blog. Look forward to reading all of your adventures and definitely want to my name on what I am sure to be quite a long waiting list of travel partners! :) Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a perfect way for you to be able to express yourself! Go Team. Looks as if you are going to have lots of company. Proud of you! Love, Momma

    ReplyDelete